Storming the Citadel Mini-Campaign Game 3

So Phil and I met again to play out game 3 of the Storming the Citadel mini campaign and try out a few new things/adjustments.  We had been playing the Germans as Elite when that is what we should use for their Force Morale roll.  They should be Regulars.  In the campaign they are listed as Regulars/Aggressive.  So we played them as having the Stubborn trait in Bolt Action, which should work out if we get into Close Combat.  I also worked on the scenario conversions and do to me miss reading how Meeting Engagement was played, had to adjust on the fly.

So this game was an Attack and Defend scenario.  Phil rolled for points at the end of the last game and rolled a 1 so he received 11 points and I got 6. this was the one scenario so far that I thought I had a chance of holding him off.  Our FM was both a 9 for this on.

So for my 6 points I took a ZIS-3 76mm gun and 2 entrenchments.  With Phil having 11 points, I knew he would be taking some sort of tank.  Plus in BA, the ZIS3 uses a 2" template, so if he bunched any infantry up, there was a good chance to take out a few.

For Phil's 11 points he did take a tank, a Pzfkw III M, a 251 halftrack, and surprisingly a Sniper Team.

Below is the map from the campaign:

Below are some pics from the table:


OK, don't give me grief on the unfinished terrain.  i have been working on the fences from 4Ground, as their bases wont let them stand up all the time.  So I glued them to some wider pieces of wood to give them a better base.  Just not done yet.

So I set my Zis 3, 2 entrenchments, 1 small squad and 2 other squads on the table :


I thought I could cover the center and the 2 squads could cover the flanks.  this left me with my Platoon Command and 2 squads off table in Reserve.

Since Phil has won all the games so far, he received a Prelimiary Bombardment.  To say it was effective is an understatement.  I lost my Platoon Commander, and the ZIS3 received 2 pins.  several other squads also got pins. With my FM roll it went down from 9 to 8.  Not a good way to start the game.  I tired to Rally the gun and of course failed but was able to remove a pin from the squad in the entrenchment.

Turn 2 saw Phil moving on to the table:

Close up.  Phil is one of the best painters around

These pictures do not do them justice.
I tried to fire the ZIS, but alias it went down again.  There is a pattern forming here. Phil then brought on the 251 HT with a squad mounted up down my left side along with another squad on foot:


I was able to bring in my other 2 squads one on the far left and one on the for right.

The sniper Team had taken up a position in the center of the table and took out a LMG in the squad behind the entrenchment. Phil tried to bring on the MKIII but it failed its check...there was some hope!

Turn 3 saw the MkIII come on, with the last squad.

It immediately put 3 kills on the squad on the far right. Things of the left weren't looking any better as the 251 HT advanced up and fired into the squad behind the fence, then Phil getting the next dice and the mounted squad unloaded and poured fire into this squad.


Ground level view


Oh by the way, the ZIS tried to fire but went down again.....4 points for this!  lol.  I slide the squad behind the building to the left and put some fire in the squad that just unloaded and did cause some casualties.

Phil's squad in the center moved up to the fence and poured more fire in the my far left squad.

Turn 4 saw the ZIS fail again and go down.  The squad on my far right took more fire from the MKIII and the squad to its front, but it did cause a few casualties.  The fight was to the left.  I was able to put some move fire into the far left German squad, but return fire eliminated most of the squad and the lose of the LMG caused my FM to go down to 7. Then on the morale check for loosing more then half, the squad routed.  My FM roll was a 6!  this caused my FM to go down to 5.  Time to withdrawal.


Overall a good game as we worked out a few things and continue to fine tune the conversions.  We are thinking we can use this in a group setting and have the overall results determine the next steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2019 Cincycon Bolt Action Tournament

Ok, so I have been a little busy working on my house and I'm almost done.  So hopefully I will be able to get back into gaming.  in the ...